Real whole food for dogs features regional farm-fresh ingredients
Amarillo, Texas (July 31, 2012) — Merrick Pet Care Inc. is declaring a pet food revolution — a revolution in a dog bowl — with the announcement of its new line of 11 dog food recipes. The recipes provide balanced nutrition, with health you can see in your dog's bowl, and more importantly, in your dog.
"Our intention is to create the most nutritionally superior products available. Because dogs want what we want: real whole food, worthy of a fork," says Carolyn Hanigan, vice president of marketing for Merrick. "We invite pet parents to join us in the food revolution. Merrick will ensure dogs everywhere get the food they've been begging for."
Consumers can sign up for the Merrick Food Revolution on Facebook to receive updates on the 11 new dog food recipes. They can also post pictures of their pooches to help them "bark" the news about the revolution to their fellow dogs and human friends. The recipes, which will coincide with new packaging, will be available at Petco, independent pet specialty stores and at select online retailers via www.merrickpetcare.com.
"Merrick's new line of foods is made according to the highest nutritional standards," says Gary Turco, vice president of research and development. "Our recipes are made here in the USA right in Merrick's own kitchens. We use no ingredients from China; only the freshest, locally-grown ingredients."
Dog tasted. Dog approved.
To create its new menu of recipes, Merrick spent several years reinventing its formulas using the latest nutrition research, conducting an exhaustive review of farmers and suppliers, and developing quality assurance standards with its expert panel of dog taste-testers.
Now, the company presents 11 new recipes under the Classic and Grain Free brands designed to delight dogs everywhere. With regional farm-fresh ingredients, Merrick's dog food recipes are built around five key promises that represent its commitment to better food for pets:
- Local growers: Merrick uses ingredients grown by American farmers and ranchers, not only to support local communities, but also to ensure freshness and food safety. With fewer distributors, handlers and warehouses, farm-grown ingredients get to Merrick's kitchens faster.
- Nutritious real whole foods: Merrick uses food in its purest state — with no artificial additives, sweeteners, colorings and preservatives. Real meat provides essential amino acids dogs need; omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids ("healthy fats") provide energy; and vegetables, fruits and whole grains enhance dogs' overall nutrition, absorption of nutrients and immune system function.
- Cooked in Merrick's own kitchens: Putting cooking and quality control under one roof, Merrick cooks food in small batches in its kitchens in Hereford, Texas to ensure its foods exceed taste, health and presentation ratings, as well as that its recipes appeal to both human and pet palates.
- Balanced nutrition: Merrick Classic recipes feature a healthy balance of 60 percent meat/poultry/fish, 20 percent fruits and vegetables, and 20 percent whole grains. Its Grain Free recipes feature a balance of 70 percent meat/poultry/fish,
30 percent fruits and vegetables, and contain no wheat, rice or other grains, for dogs who have food allergies or sensitivities. Both brands ensure dogs get more of what they need and less of what they don't.
- Health you can see: Since the adage "you are what you eat" applies to both people and pets, Merrick uses industry-leading levels of protein and healthy fats to ensure dogs' optimal weight and energy; fatty acids for healthy skin and coat; glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy bones and joints; and highly digestible meat proteins, peas, apples and blueberries for improved digestion.
More information on the Merrick Pet Care revolution, including food recommendations, and tips for integrating the new recipes into dogs' diets, is available at www.merrickpetcare.com.
About Merrick Pet Care Inc.
Founded in 1968, Amarillo-based Merrick Pet Care Inc. is a leader in the super-premium pet food category. With a mission to create the most nutritious and wholesome food it can to help families take better care of their pets, Merrick has a passion for cooking up nutritious, real whole foods for pets. All foods are made in the USA using only the freshest ingredients grown by local farmers. The company offers a wide variety of dry and wet foods that are available nationally at independent pet specialty stores, Petco and online at www.merrickpetcare.com.