Our Story > Merrick Milestones & Timeline
A Legacy of Quality & Innovation
- Merrick Pet Care, building upon its successful 2012 real, whole pet food Revolution, ‘unleashes’ 66 new and newly-reformulated products across its product and brand portfolio including wet, dry and treats with special formulations including grain free, gluten free, all-natural, deboned protein.
- Merrick unveils packaging innovations to its bagged dry food lines providing pet parents with easier-to-use closures and greater freshness assurances. The new packaging also proudly features its Safe Quality Food (SQF) Level 3 certification earned in 2013.
- Merrick Pet Care continues its successful real, whole food revolution with the introduction of its new Purrfect Bistro menu of 21 recipes offering a variety of high-protein, canned and dry cat foods.
Merrick Pet Care’s production facilities earn the Safe Quality Food (SQF) Level 3 certification for its 195,000 square foot facilities located in Hereford, Texas.?
The SQF Level 3 certification means Merrick has successfully completed a stringent food safety auditing process and verifies that its facilities are in compliance with Certified HACCP (Hazard Analysis, Critical Control Points) food safety plans.
- Merrick ‘beefs up’ dog food line with its first grain free beef offering called Grain Free Real Texas Beef + Sweet Potato.
- A partnership is formed between Merrick and PAWS Chicago, Chicago’s largest no kill humane and adoption center. Merrick has committed itself to providing quality nutrition to each cat and dog resident of PAWS. All new pet adopters receive a free bag of Merrick.
Capitalizing on more than 20 years of innovation in the pet food industry, Merrick begins the 2012 Real Food Revolution by reformulating existing products into the Classic and Grain Free lines. The new recipes are unsurpassed in quality, nutrition and health benefits.??
The 2012 Merrick Revolution begins with 11 world-class, dog food recipes that coincide with an all-new packaging design.
- Merrick notably becomes the world’s only known Organic certified manufacturer of both dry and canned food for pets under the USDA National Organic Program (NOP).
- Looking to grow strategically its premium pet food business in the natural and organic segments, Merrick acquires Castor & Pollux and its ORGANIX® and Natural Ultramix® brands.
- CEO Greg Shearson brings strategic growth plan and CPG approach to the company.
- Merrick Pet Care products debut in the natural section of Petco® retail stores nationwide.
- Merrick “Seasonals” debut with four unique summer flavors - Campers Delight, Honolulu Luau, Ballpark Bonanza and Red, White and Blueberry - available for a limited time. Fall, winter and spring flavors follow.
- Merrick introduces a new brand within its portfolio, Whole Earth Farms - consisting of holistic wet and dry formulas available at affordable, accessible prices.
- Merrick launches Before Grain - a line of grain free canned and dry food for dogs and cats.
- Merrick introduces new canned dog flavors. Smothered Comfort and Wingaling quickly become bestsellers.
- Merrick launches six new dry foods based around the themes of fresh meat and healthy fruits and vegetables. A canned food product line for cats is also introduced with nine unique flavors.
- The Glycemic Research Institute in Washington, D.C., selects Merrick Pet Food as the Best Pet Food of the Year.
- Merrick introduces eight unique canned recipes for dogs featuring Grammy’s Pot Pie, Turducken, Thanksgiving Day Dinner, Cowboy Cookout, Wilderness Blend, Mediterranean Banquet, Puppy Plate and Senior Medley.
- Merrick innovates again with the development of a gourmet line of super-premium pet food featuring real meat as the #1 ingredient and including fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains.
- To better meet the need of a growing online retail market, Merrick introduces its first Internet retail site and begins selling and shipping treats directly to pet owners across the United States.
- “The Flossie” - the most popular Merrick treat of all time - is created.
- Merrick opens two Merrick Pet Delicatessen retails stores offering Merrick treats and food direct to local communities.
- Merrick begins to build a cannery and the first Merrick beef, turkey and venison canned pet foods are created.
- Merrick Pet Care develops Merrick Premium brand dry food and Beef ‘N More dry food. Beef ‘N More is eventually sold nationwide in Sam’s Club® stores.
- Merrick makes its 5 Star Promises: ?Local Growers, Real Whole Foods, Small Batches, Balanced Nutrition, and Health You Can See
Garth Merrick develops a line of natural treats for dogs including bone, chews and variety packs. The product line gains popularity in pet specialty retail stores and new products; merchandising options are introduced yearly.
With early retailing merchandising innovation, Merrick treats are one of the first natural treat lines to utilize unique display racks, end cap corrugated displays and holiday packaging.